Wednesday, September 24, 2008

.83

Fell a little short of my goal of 1mi but not by too much. Well, not enough to feel bad about at least. Again, like yesterday, I chose the wrong partner. I have two dogs: one is an 11 year old Australian Shepherd with a trick paw, the other is a 7 year old Dalmatian mix with boundless energy who loves to run. Who do I take with me? My Aussie. Because I'm just that smart. I figured I'm running at night, he's big and mean-looking, clearly very intimidating, I'll take him with me. Every other house (I ran in the subdivision tonight) I had to turn around and make sure he was still behind me. He's pitch black and to spot a black dog at night on a street with no lights is...sort of difficult. The poor guy, he wandered into a ditch at one point and was totally confused about why I kept running away from him and then running back towards him. I think I'll let him live out his golden years napping on his warm rug and taking leisurely strolls in the woods.

The run itself was good. I'm not sure if I can still call it a run. I'm only really running for 1 minute at a time and then walking for 5 minutes. Still I thought that being away from it would make it so hard it would be like when I started and couldn't even run 1 minute without compulsively checking the time. I remember I thought I was running for ages and it was only 10 or 15 seconds. Yikes. I was pleasantly surprised, though, when I ran my one minute and wasn't even breathing hard. That bodes well for the future. We'll see on Sunday when I have to run 5 minutes...

3 comments:

Hollie said...

You can do it American Girl! It's amazing how quickly 5 will become 10 and then 10 to.....30 minutes as you continue on. I am not sure what the nike training program is like but I used the Couch 2 5K program and loved it! It was very good for starting slow and progressing little by little. Thanks for leaving me a comment and adding me to your blog roll, I was wondering if anyone out there read my blog. I'll be checkin yours for sure now. Good luck with the 5 minute runs :)

Unknown said...

I think using a run/walk program is the BEST way to get into running. After breaking my back (and pretty much every other bone in my upper body) I used a walk/run program to get me back into running again and have done two half marathons running 10 and walking 1! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I am in a similar boat to you regarding age, past running experience and mental health (and running with dogs! My 8.5 year old mutt is my running buddy) I got a couple books on running that are slowly decreasing my shame at walk breaks.