Tuesday, October 7, 2008

1.06

Well hurray, my shins seem okay now. The biggest problem I had when I started running was terrible shin splits. I went to a running store, switched my shoes from my trusty New Balance to some stability Saucony Revolutions. It pretty much went away after that but I've been semi-terrified of an injury ever since I spent a month in bed after pulling a muscle training which ended up pinching my sciatic nerve. It is so, so, so unfun to go to doctor appointments where you get both electric shocks AND needles. I felt like maybe I shouldn't be paying to be tortured.

I took it slow, observed my rest day, and then just did my 15 minute walk, 1 minute run, 2 minute walk as per my training schedule. No jumping the gun. Tonight is my long run and I hope that the rest and active recovery has paid off. If not, I'm back to square one...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have ongoing shin problems too. It started after I began running after a 3 yr hiatus and still lingers. I see a Chiropractor weekly who does ART on them and it helps A LOT!!! I seriously recommend a session or two of this to see if it helps. I enjoy reading your blog, we have a lot in common. :o)