Saturday, October 11, 2008

1.31

I was pretty tired today after work and was going to knock out my short run when I got home. Instead, I decided to ask my dad if he wanted to come with me for a walk and so I waited while he suited up (my dad cannot be seen if he is not looking as GQ as possible, even at night) and leashed up our old Aussie.

While I wanted to hurry up and get my short run done so I can do some reading (I'm in the middle of a strangely fascinating book), I'm glad my dad came out with me. He is in remission after having liver cancer and surgery to remove the large tumour that came with it. My dad and I have gotten closer as I've gotten older and the thought of losing him to cancer made me so glad we're good buddies. I was happy to sacrifice a run for a little bonding time. Plus his doctor put him on strict orders to walk, so I can goad him into it, which is one of my favourite pastimes. 

I was also looking up trails near my house. I'd like to try trail running, as I heard it was a bit easier on your joints and a hell of a lot more interesting than running past the same garden swans and lawn gnomes every night. I might go scout out the woods near my place on my next day off. Any trail runners have any advice for a beginner?

No comments: